Tamarindo – The Perfect Holiday Destination
A perfect blend of sun, sand, and surf, Tamarindo in Costa Rica is the textbook getaway for the discerning tourist who wants to explore a myriad of activities that this idyllic, yet not yet as busy Costa Rica town has to offer. Tamarindo is well known as a “Party and Play” destination, famous for its fabulous surf and water sporting activities. While the Costa Rican coastline is dotted with beautiful beaches, Tamarindo boasts many tourist friendly roads and other modern infrastructure that make it a big draw for travelers, while at the same time retaining its individuality and character.
Surfing and Tamarindo
Best known as a surfer’s paradise with some of the best breaks in the world, Tamarindo sees a number surfing competitions held through the year. The waves and the wind are fairly consistent, so the beaches around Tamarindo are great for even novice surfers. Some of the best surf spots are a river mouth named El Estero, favorite with long boarders. There is also rocky Pico Pequeno, suitable for surfing at mid-tide. Drive 16 km’s from Tamarindo to reach Playa Avellanas, better known as “Little Hawaii”, with optimal beach breaks.
Even picture perfect postcards cannot get better than this. Playa Tamarindo is a fantastic crescent-shaped beach dotted with picturesque restaurants and hang-outs that offer a great view of the blue waters and the activities on the beach. The beach’s shallow waters are perfect for novice swimmers and newbie surfers.
For Couples and Families
Tamarindo is not just a great destination for young surfers, it’s a wonderful holiday destination for whole families with kids and adults of all ages. Plenty of accommodation ranging from top-end hotels to apartments and hostels and a host of activities including eco-tours, horseback riding, and cycling tours are available for vacationers.
Some of the other activities around Tamarindo:
- Sailing Tours. Enjoy the Pacific and watch its inhabitants such as turtles, dolphins at leisure as you sail into the sunset. If your mood so suggests, you can even simply dive in and complete a quick snorkel to round off your sailing tour.
- Explore Marino Las Baulas National Park. A highly popular experience around Tamarindo, the park is home and a safe haven for the leatherback sea turtle. A favorite nesting site for the turtles, visitors can get up close and personal to these soft gentle animals. There are also plenty of other animal and bird species that visitors to the park can enjoy. View the website here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Baulas_National_Marine_Park
- Snorkeling. Just north of Tamarindo is Playa Conchal, with soft sand of white coral that gives the water an exquisite turquoise shade. The water is crystal clear and a delight for snorkeling.
- Fishing. Whether it is shore or reef fishing, or marlin fishing in deep waters, Tamarindo has plenty of fishing options. The best fishing season is between April and August and if you so fancy it, you can even have your fresh catch served to you at one of the many waterfront restaurants.
- Party Evenings. Come dusk and the entire Tamarindo Beachfront is one big party area. Local restaurants offer great wining and dining experiences with dancing and local music. The nightlife is exciting and limitless with the stars and the clear skies offering a marvelous canopy.
For others looking at off-beat options, there are also two top rated golf courses having an impressive layout weaving in and out of the Pacific ridge. Tamarindo is easily accessible, just an hour’s drive from Liberia International Airport or an easy 4 hours from San Jose and is adequately developed to cater to
Tamarindo is easily accessible, just an hour’s drive from Liberia International Airport or an easy 4 hours from San Jose and is adequately developed to cater to travelers’ needs. For a fabulous holiday with a mix of everything, head out to Tamarindo, Costa Rica – your complete holiday destination.